Friday, November 05, 2010

It's been a year and then some!

Hey all.

I know I've taken quite a break from all of this, but I figured I should step back under the hood and make something of this.

A while back, Suzanne, River and I traveled to Bonnie Springs where they had a petting zoo chock full of all kinds of animals. One of my favorite shots from the trip was this:



This picture may seem like no extraordinary feat but let me explain how it was captured.

I was using my new Olympus E-P1 which had a Canon FD 50mm F1.4 manual focus lens mounted via an adapter. There is no viewfinder, just a large LCD screen. I hate to toot my own horn (especially being a former trumpet player) but damn this was a tough shot to pull off. Not only was the peacock moving towards me, I was manually trying to get a solid focus on that eye. I managed to make a decisive click and captured the above image.

I was impressed with the image, and I generally break my work down into major criticisms of myself, but none came with this one. I did not fire off a ton of shots either, it was more or less steady aim and a solid shot. Keep in mind, the aperture was wide open which only gave me about six inches or less of depth of field to work with.

One of the things I pride the most with my years as a film burner was the quick hand I developed while focusing a lens. The quick hands also translated well into my medical work. It's one of those things were you're working on an acute patient and your hands just "do". Some of you may know what I mean.

Anyways, TOOT TOOT TOOT. That's all I have to say for this. More to come later.

-JDL

No comments: